Information Exchange Ecosystem Model
Information Exchange model is where participants share and exchange relevant information through a technology platform to improve efficiency for manufacturing related business process.
- The main aim is to facilitate information sharing between agreed parties.
- Only information is shared, and no or minimal material or service is exchanged.
- The model itself is not necessarily exploited directly for commercial gain.
Shared Application Ecosystem Model
Shared Application Model is where organizations create industry specific application by sharing software or infrastructure platform for improving process or product / service related to manufacturing ecosystem.
- Custom built application for specific set of purpose(s).
- Can be hosted by a third party non-manufacturing enterprise.
- Dominated by IOT platforms, blockchain, and industry collaborative clouds
- Innovation focused ecosystem.
Collaboration Ecosystem Model
Collaboration ecosystem model is a joint initiative developed to co-create manufacturing technology, product, and (or) service by more than one enterprise for commercial synergy through innovation or new offerings.
- Also referred to as coordination model. Key objective is gaining rapid scale.
- The parent enterprise acts like a holding company.
- Collaboration throughout value chain: product design, development, production, and after-sales.
MarketPlace Ecosystem Model
MarketPlace Ecosystem is web-based and (or) mobile-enabled model that brings together demand and supply side players to discover and promote, specific manufacturing products or services.
- Extension of directories and search engines, ecommerce, direct-to-consumer initiative
- Also known as a model of commerce – the main purpose is commercial transaction
- Model participants enjoy a network effect through referrals and ratings
- Varied model: free, time-based subscriptions, percentage for awarded RFQ/job etc.
Funding digital transformation through manufacturing collaborative ecosystems
Source: IDC Manufacturing Insights 2019